Whenever a woman misses her period; the first ever thought that comes to her mind is that she might be pregnant. Most of the women tend to take the pregnancy strip test after the very first day of their missed period. In such a case most of the women get negative pregnancy results. If you are getting negative pregnancy results and your periods are still haven’t arrived yet then half of the chances are that you might be pregnant and need to take the test after few days, but the other half points towards late period. Many women around the world face the issue of negative pregnancy test late period due to various biological and psychological factors.
Main reasons behind negative pregnancy test:
If you have missed your period then your sudden impulse would be to administer a pregnancy test. If you have received the negative results for your test then here you need to consider two points:
- If you are experiencing all the other symptoms of pregnancy apart from the missed periods then you might be pregnant so you need to administer this test after a week or so in order to get more accurate results. Sometimes it happens that pregnancy test comes back with a negative even if a woman is pregnant; this happens because you might have taken the test before accurate time.
- If you have missed your periods but can’t feel any other symptom of pregnancy then there could be chances that you are having late periods. Late periods could occur due to various health issues. First you need to rule out every possibility for the pregnancy and then you need to get a treatment for late periods.
- Sometimes the woman with late periods also experiences the initial symptoms of pregnancy and thinks that she is pregnant because of a missed period but in fact the symptoms are caused due to the delay in period.
The usual causes include:
- Breastfeeding is known to be the most famous cause of late periods. Most of the nursing mothers don’t get their periods for the duration they are nursing their babies. This happens due to the height of prolactin in the body. Prolactin hormone plays pivotal role in the production of milk after the birth of the baby but this hormone also disturbs the menstrual cycle.
- If you are feeling severe stress or anxiety in your routine life then the chances for late periods are very high. During the stress, human body produces high level of cortisol hormone which is also known as fight hormone. Cortisol has a great link with the progesterone; progesterone plays an important role in the regulation of periods. If the human body is stressed then progesterone instead of playing its usual part will focus its strength on producing the fight hormones, which can cause disturbance of periods.
Apart from the above mentioned causes, if you are taking certain birth control medication, are not paying attention to your diet or have the issue of hormonal imbalance then you are also going to get negative pregnancy tests due to late periods.